Exergen Global Introduces "PEKO", its Revolutinary Sensoranics-based Thermal Dynamic Management Solution for extreme heat and most challenging emissivity of materials
More than an IR Solution—PEKOs’ Proprietary Shroud and Cone Devices Combines with Exergen’s Award-Winning IR Sensors for Unmatched Accuracy and
Reliability Up to 500oC
WATERTOWN, Mass. and ZIJTAART, the Netherlands, January 23, 2019 - Exergen Global today announced the industry’s only non-contact thermal dynamic management solution to combine a proprietary-design cooling mechanism with a unique emissivity control device to provide accurate, repeatable thermal measurement results in industrial settings under extreme conditions, with ambient temperatures as high as 500oC.
Exergen Global’s revolutionary solution codenamed “PEKO”, allows manufacturers to safely speed up industrial processes and position thermal sensors extremely close to measurement targets—both moves that significantly increase ambient temperature—while ensuring processing temperatures remain safely within specifications and emissivity is brought to as close as E=1.
“Exergen Global is known worldwide for its proprietary Sensoranics™ design approach which combines thermal management, thermal dynamics and engineering expertise. “PEKO” is an outstanding example of how that approach can deliver solutions that simply and cost-effectively tackle the most unusual and complex thermal management challenges for a wide range of industries,” said Bram Stelt, CEO of Exergen Global. “Ambient heat and emissivity are two of the toughest problems to solve in thermal dynamic management, but by using Sensoranics™, Exergen Global goes far beyond simply offering an IR sensor solution to provide a comprehensive temperature measurement approach!”
The “PEKO” design includes an aluminum and stainless-steel baffle system comprised of inner and outer double-walled shrouds; the sensor is integrated into the inner shroud. The aluminum outer shroud reflects 80% of the ambient heat and the stainless-steel inner shroud manages the other 20% with a fan that directs cooling air to the sensor area and prevents any direct lamp energy from impacting measurements. The shrouds’ reflective qualities not only reduce the heat, but also have the added benefit of effectively creating a wider field of view, which is more desirable from a quality control perspective. The fan becomes part of the sensor’s optical system, helping to keep its lens clean. The design also very effectively addresses the emissivity of a target surface, which can vary considerably due to substrate properties and ambient condition changes. Most conventional IR thermometry devices do not account for those frequent and sometimes significant changes in surface emissivity, resulting in less accurate temperature readings. PEKO overcomes this problem with its custom-fitted ‘Cone’, a conical-shaped device that prevents ambient radiation from entering the surface being measured, and that reflects emitted radiation and directs it to the sensor detector. By decreasing ambient reflections and emissivity variations, the Cone reduces temperature measurement errors by about a factor of ten.
About Exergen Corporation and Exergen Global
Exergen Corporation, the global leader in industrial and medical non-invasive temperature technology, provides non-invasive temperature measurement devices providing lower cost, higher accuracy, less invasiveness, and greater reliability than ever previously possible. Exergen is well known for its award- winning temporal artery thermometer in the healthcare and consumer market. The company was founded by Harvard-research scientist Dr. Francesco Pompei who holds over 70 patents. Exergen Corporation is based in Watertown, Massachusetts, U.S. Exergen Global, an HP Strategic Partner for 2017, is the worldwide solutions provider of Exergen Corporation’s industrial non- contact infrared temperature sensor solutions and the recipient of the 2015 Global Frost & Sullivan Entrepreneurial Company of the Year Award.